(Photo Credit: Rose McGowan/Instagram)
“Show me the spot where American blood has been shed upon American soil.”
The Spot Resolution
- On Saturday, eleven people were killed in a shooting Saturday morning at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh, PA, by 46-year-old Robert Bowers, and that the suspect made anti-Semitic statements during the shooting.
- On Friday Cesar Sayoc, 56, of Aventura, Florida, was charged with five federal crimes related to the 7 pipe bombs the White Male Christian sent to Democrats who had been criticized by Donald Trump. Attorney general Sessions says Sayoc ‘appears to be partisan’ and FoxNews echoed those descriptions.
- On Wednesday, two African-Americans, Maurice Stallard and Vickie Jones, were shot in the grocery store and the parking lot, respectively, by Gregory A. Bush, 51. Bush, who is a White Male had tried to enter a predominantly black church just minutes earlier.
- Two weeks ago, on Friday, October 12th, members of the far-right men’s group Proud Boys violently beat three apparent protestors after a protestor knocked a hat off one Proud Boy’s head. According to a local photojournalist, Shay Horse, who filmed a widely circulated video of the incident, approximately 30 members of the group participated in the alleged assault, after being escorted out of the club along with other event attendees by members of the NYPD following a speech by Proud Boys founder Gavin McInnes at the Metropolitan Republican Club in New York City. The NYPD has stated it has enough evidence to charge nine members of the right-wing group, as well as three protesters, with rioting, assault, and/or attempted assault.
Yes, violence is wide-spread and know no one race, religion, or gender.
- On April 3, 2018, at 12:46 p.m. PDT, a shooting occurred at the headquarters of the video-sharing website YouTube in San Bruno, California. The suspect was later identified as 38-year-old Nasim Najafi Aghdam, who entered through an exterior parking garage, approached an outdoor patio, and opened fire with a Smith & Wesson 9 mm caliber semi-automatic pistol. Aghdam wounded three people, one of them critically, before killing herself.
- In July, Jonathan Copeland Jr. assassinated Milwaukee Police Officer Michael J. Michalski shooting him once in the head from a pile of clothing as the officer climbed a rear staircase.
However, sadly it seems an aspect of being human that we divide ourselves into tribes, whether those tribes be national, racial, ethnic, religious, or -increasingly- political neotribalism.
- The Unabomber: White Male
- The Austin serial bombings (March 2 and 20, 2018), five package bombs exploded, killing two people and injuring another five. The suspect, 23-year-old Mark Anthony Conditt of Pflugerville, Texas, blew himself up inside his vehicle after he was pulled over by police: White Male
- And now the Florida-NY Political Pipe Bomber: White Male
Moreover, we seem to have an inherent expectation that demographic tribes share a hive mind. Those other demographic tribes are blinded by their identity politics, but when members of my demographic tribe disagree, well there must be a self-hating Uncle Tom ruining our tribal cohesion.
Humanity’s inexhaustible ability to judge other demographic tribes is matched only by our ability to judge the demographic loyalty of our own tribes. “Can you believe those Americans won’t stand for the National Anthem?”; “Do you see that African-American Republican, what an Uncle Tom!”; “Those Catholic Democrats obviously aren’t really Catholic, they’re baby-killers!”; “Log Cabin Republicans, they’re just traitors to the gay community.” And so on, and so on…
One of the limitations of the human condition is our propensity to remember history as a series of ethnic or national accomplishments and defeats. “We” won wars against England and Germany, even though most Americans have German and English ancestry. Our identity construction also seems to limit our ability to objectivity; instead, we say, “Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,” at the same time we have a plank in your own eye (Luke 6:42)? The voices that talk of Nazi atrocities in Germany, or Turkish denial of the Armenian Genocide, are often silent about the treatment of Native Americans and enslaved Africans.
More recently, the voices that complain about White Supremacists in Charlottesville are often silent about Antifa violence, and those who complain about AntiFa ignore violence by the Proud Boys or other alt-right organizations. Rural thugs like the Sovereign Citizens movement and anti-BLM terrorists are treated like heroes by the very people who decry urban violence by brown and black gangs.
What’s my point exactly?
My point is that rhetoric points the finger at African-Americans. It points its ugly finger at immigrants and Muslims. The prevailing wisdom of the mob, I mean public opinion, is that Muslims terrorists and Latin American gangs are behind all the violence in America. In fact, the president has labeled all asylum -seekers as MS-13 and, more recently regarding the caravan of Central Americans heading norther through Mexico, now the President has said that ISIS has infiltrated the caravan.
As the facts continue to erode the narratives that protect White America, then the narratives shift: it must be a lone wolf or mental health, yeah, that’s it, mental illness. How come it’s never ‘lone wolf’ or mental illness’ when the perp is not a White Male Christian?
The three terrible crimes committed this week were not committed by women, nor Hindus, nor immigrants…. and not by Jews either… in fact, the victims this week we Jews and African-Americans. The phenomenon is a uniquely male, Caucasian, Christian, problem. This is not opinion, not conjecture; it simply is true that the perpetrators of mass shootings, bombings and political terrorism in America are statistically likely to be Caucasian, Male, Christians. To my knowledge, for example, until the YouTube Shooting, the only female school shooter was Brenda Spicer. And neither the Unabomber nor Austin bomber was female. And now we know that the Anti-Democrat Pipe Bomber was an angry White Male as well. That’s right, not only are the perpetrators of political terrorism in America likely to be Caucasian, Male, Christians, they are also more likely to be conservative. Again, not that there is not leftwing violence, but it is more likely that acts of recent political terrorism are conducted by self-described conservatives. Ted Kaczynski in his manifesto Industrial Society and Its Future, criticizes leftists and rightists both. James Hodgkinson is the only recent liberal political terrorist that comes to mind at the moment. the Weather Underground and extremist elements of the Students for a Democratic Society. Between 1973 and 1975, the Symbionese Liberation Army was active but has ebbed since the end of the Cold War.
According to George Michael, “right-wing terrorism and violence has a long history in America”. The term “white terrorism” is used by scholars to label terrorism committed against African Americans during the Reconstruction era. Right-wing violent incidents began to outnumber Marxist incidents in the United States during the 1980s and 1990s Michael observes the waning of left-wing terrorism accompanying the rise of right-wing terrorism, with a noticeable “convergence” of the goals of militant Islam with those of the extreme right. Islamic studies scholar Youssef M. Choueiri classified Islamic fundamentalist movements involving revivalism, reformism, and radicalism as within the scope of “right-wing politics”.
During the 1980s, more than 75 right-wing extremists were prosecuted in the United States for acts of terrorism, carrying out six attacks. In 1983, Gordon Kahl, a Posse Comitatus activist, killed two federal marshals and he was later killed by police. Also that year, the white nationalist revolutionary group The Order (also known as the Brüder Schweigen or the Silent Brotherhood) robbed banks and armored cars, as well as a sex shop, bombed a theater and a synagogue and murdered radio talk show host Alan Berg.
The April 19, 1995 attack on the Murrah federal building in Oklahoma by Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols killed 168 people and it was the deadliest act of domestic terrorism in the history of the United States. McVeigh stated that it was committed in retaliation for the government’s actions at Ruby Ridge and Waco.
Eric Rudolph executed a series of terrorist attacks between 1996 and 1998. He carried out the 1996 Centennial Olympic Park bombing—which claimed two lives and injured 111—aiming to cancel the games, claiming they promoted global socialism and to embarrass the U.S. government. Rudolph confessed to bombing an abortion clinic in Sandy Springs, an Atlanta suburb, on January 16, 1997, the Otherside Lounge, an Atlanta lesbian bar, on February 21, 1997, injuring five and an abortion clinic in Birmingham, Alabama on January 29, 1998, killing Birmingham police officer and part-time clinic security guard Robert Sanderson and critically injuring nurse Emily Lyons.
As of August 2018, the New America Foundation placed the number killed in terrorist attacks in the United States since 9/11 as follows: 104 killed in jihadist terrorist attacks, 73 killed in far-right attacks, and 8 killed in black separatist, nationalist, or supremacist attacks. The politically conservative Daily Caller News Foundation using data from the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START), found 92% of all “ideologically motivated homicide incidents” committed in the United States from 2007 to 2016 were motivated by right-wing extremism or white supremacism. According to the Government Accountability Office of the United States, 73% of violent extremist incidents that resulted in deaths since September 12, 2001, were caused by right-wing extremist groups.
New America’s tally shows that since September 11, 2001, incidents of right-wing extremism have caused 73 deaths. Incidents causing death were:
- The Murder of Blaze Bernstein (2018)
- The murder of MeShon Cooper-Williams (2018)
- The University of Maryland stabbing (2017)
- The Unite the Right rally (2017)
- The Portland train attack (2017)
- The Stabbing of Timothy Caughman (2017)
- The Shooting at a showing of the film Trainwreck (2015)
- The Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado Springs, CO (2015)
- The Shooting attack on worshippers at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church (2015)
- The attack on Pennsylvania State Police barracks (2015)
- The Ambush attack on Las Vegas police officers (2014)
- The Overland Park Jewish Community Center shooting (2014)
- The Los Angeles International Airport shooting attack on TSA officer (2013)
- The Double murder committed by Jeremy Lee Moody and Christine Moody (2013)
- The Ambush attack against St. John the Baptist Parish police (2012)
- The Wisconsin Sikh temple shooting (2012)
- The Tri-state killing spree by white supremacists David Pedersen and Holly Grigsby (2012)
- The FEAR group attacks (2011)
- The murder of James Craig Anderson (2011)
- The murder committed by Aryan Brotherhood members (2010)
- Shooting at bookstore cafe perpetrated by Ross William Muehlberger (2010)
- The murder of Todd Getgen (2010)
- The Austin (TX) Suicide attack by airplane (2010)
- The murder of sex offender by white supremacists in North Palm Springs, California (2009)
- The murder committed by Charles Francis Gaskins (2009)
- The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum shooting (2009)
- The assassination of George Tiller (2009)
- The murders of Raul and Brisenia Flores (2009)
- The shooting of Pittsburgh police officers (2009)
- The Woodburn bank bombing (2009)
- The Knoxville Unitarian Universalist church shooting (2008)
- The Murder of a homeless man by Aryan Soldiers (2007)
- The Murder committed by John Ditullio (2006)
- The Tulsa Bank Robbery (2004)
- The Salinas, California, Torture, Abduction, and Murder (2003)
How do you want to slice the data? Top 10? Twenty largest mass shootings? Only include school shootings? Top 30? 35? 50? The data is consistent:
- Las Vegas, Stephen Paddock, American-born, Caucasian male.
- Orlando, Omar Mateen, American-born, Afghan male
- VA Tech, Seung-Hui Cho, Korean-born male
- Sandy Hook, Adam Lanza, American-born, Caucasian male.
- Sutherland Springs, Devin Patrick Kelley, American-born, Caucasian male.
Analysis: 4/5’s American-born. 4/5’s Raised-Christian. 3/5’s Caucasian male. 0/5’s female. 1/5 Muslim. 0/5 African-American. And, sadly, 3/5’s in the past 3 years.
- Luby’s Shooting, Georges Pierre Hennard, American-born, Caucasian male.
- San Ysidro McDonald’s, James Huberty, American-born, Caucasian male.
- University of Texas, Charles Joseph Whitman, American-born, Caucasian male.
- Marjory Stoneman Douglas, Nikolau Jacob Cruz, American-born, Caucasian male.
- San Bernadino, Syed Rizwan Farook, American-born Pakistani male, and Tashfeen Malik, Pakistani-born, Pakistani female.
Analysis: 8/11’s American-born. 8/11’s Raised-Christian. 7/11’s Caucasian male. 1/11’s female. 3/11 Muslim. 0/11 African-American. And, sadly, 6/10’s in the past 6 years.
- Edmond, Oklahoma, Patrick Sherrill, American-born, Caucasian male.
- Columbine High School, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, American-born, Caucasian males.
- Birmingham, New York, Jiverly Antares Wong, Vietnam-born male.
- Camden, New Jersey, Howard Barton Unruh, American-born, Caucasian male.
- Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, George Emil Banks, American-born, African-American male
- Fort Hood, Nidal Hasan, American-born, a Palestinian male
- Washington Naval Yard, Aaron Alexis, American-born, African-American male
- Aurora, James Eagan Holmes, American-born, Caucasian male.
- Geneva County, Michael Kenneth McLendon, American-born, Caucasian male.
- GMAC, James Edward Pough, American-born, African-American male
- Atlanta, Mark Orrin Barton, American-born, Caucasian male.
- Red Lake, Jeffrey Weise, American-born, Native American/Caucasian male.
- Umpqua Community College shooting, Chris Harper-Mercer, American-born, Caucasian male.
We can play games of statistics; we can play games of per capita ratio. We can redefine ‘mass shootings’ and shift the focus to gang violence and inner-city shootings. Does it matter? Does it make the victims of mass shootings lie calmer in the graves we’ve wrought? We can dance the dance; we can play the demographic game. Did you see what *they* did? ‘They’ did it first!! ‘They’ did it worse! Or we can own the facts. White male Christians kill. The mass killers in American society are not foreign-born; they are not Muslims, they are not Black or Brown. The Americans with a propensity to shoot other American indiscriminately tend to be young, male, Caucasians.
When suicide vests detonate, and bombs explode, I often read and hear: “If Muslims are so innocent, when are they going to denounce their own?!” When gang-bangers shoot each other and catch a passerby, I hear: “We need tougher punishments, no parole!!” I read of violence by the destitute poor and hear resolute disdain: “Lock them up! They should get a job!”
But when it comes to mass shootings, it must be mental illness, isolated incidents… it’s so sad, how could we have known? No, no, the President didn’t cause this, and by the way, what about Maxine Waters and that crazy Dem who shot up the Congressional Softball practice?
But we do know. We’ve known for a long time before, but now it’s impossible to ignore. Instead of telling Turks to apologize; Russia and Mexico too, perhaps it’s time to recognize the role Americans play, in the death of Americans too.
I’m not just a “Self-Hating” White male; I’m the father of one too. I guess I’m just an Uncle Tom ruining my White male Christian tribal cohesion. It’s time to own our demographics, and not just label the others we see stumble and fall. Doesn’t White Christian American expect the same of other American and non-American demographic groups? The thing with snowflakes is that, at some point, they brake the tree branch and fall. Let’s own the weight of each snowflake big and small; let’s take responsibility for our own tribes as easily as we blame the other tribes. Acknowledge and build-up, rather than rip apart and talk down. No demographic tribes ought to own the narrative high-ground.
To White America, I say, “How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye” (Luke 6:42).